The Gasworks Sudbury was built around 1874. Designed by George Devey, an architect known for his work on English country houses, it produced gas for Sudbury Hall and many houses in the village.

The Gasworks was dismantled in the 1930s and quickly fell into disrepair. Local volunteers formed Sudbury Gasworks Restoration Trust in 2014 to save the building. The project was awarded £1.59m grant funding by the National Lottery Heritage Fund in 2019.

The Derbyshire Grade II listed building, once named a Building at Risk by Derbyshire Historic Building Trust, is now restored and opened to the public in April 2023. The building includes a drop-in heritage area for visitors and can be hired for events of up to 120 people.

To find out more, you our visit our drop-in heritage space during special events and openings throughout the year. Visit the events page for upcoming open days.

Click the link below to learn more about the history of Sudbury Gasworks and Sudbury Parish on our Local History Blog run by volunteers.